Board Level Shielding is Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) shield that is sealed with one and two-piece metal cages. It provides isolation of board-level components, reduces EMI susceptibility without impacting the speed of the system and minimizes crosstalk.
It has various features that include:
- Complex custom high volume support
- Available in industry-standard Cold Rolled Steel (CRS) and Aluminium material. Other materials are tin-plated steel, stainless steel, nickel silver and copper beryllium.
- In-house EMI expertise
- Comes with tape and reel package
- Through holes, bending radii, and corner shapes
Aluminium is preferred over steel since it reduces the overall weight by maintaining similar EMI suppression. It provides five – times better thermal conductivity than CRS.
- Wireless meters and wireless speakers
- Point of Sale (PoS) equipment
- Virtual Reality (VR) headsets
Board Level Shielding comes in various design styles and specifications. Have a look to find a suitable design for you:
One-Piece Standard Board Level Shield Design
One-piece shields have Depth-etch bend lines that allow for forming without tooling by the factory or the customer.
It has many advantages:
- It has holes and slots available for heat dissipation at no charge.
- Mounting pin styles are available in any configuration.
- It has intricate geometry with no impact on tooling cost.
- It is available in a wide range of materials and finishing options.
Example of One-piece Shield is QUBE which is designed for clip mount, surface mount or through-hole applications.
Two-Piece Board Level Shielding
It has two versions that are Spring Finger and Low-Profile Slim Shield. The frame offers superior shielding performance.
The design incorporates spring finger style attached between fence and cover. It can be customized to any possible configuration such as L shape, V shape or nay irregular shape. They are designed using tin and brass plating.
Low-Profile Slim Shield
It is a two-piece, low-profile board level shielding with a dimpled cover that offers shield heights as low as to .060″ and snaps into etched holes on the fence. Standard dimple tooling provides variable dimple location with cover retention at a less cost. The photo etching process offers complete design freedom and fast delivery.
It is a two-piece board level shield that consists of a frame with a removable cover for the component accessibility.
This type of board-level shield is designed for surface mount applications. Its perimeter flange design offers structural support. It is also a two-piece board level shielding.
Shields with Internal Dividers and Custom Designs
By utilising the advanced technology available, including Solid Works and AutoCAD, you can design the type of shield you require.
Possibilities are available for custom board level shielding –
- Soldered or resistance welded seams.
- No limitation of size or shape.
- Intricate geometry with no impact on tooling cost.
Materials that can be used-
- Nickel Silver
- Stainless Steel
- Mu metal
Materials used for finishing-
- Palladium Nickel
- Tin Lead
- Bright Nickel