There are many nuclear weapons in the world, and nuclear war can start at any time. The radiations caused by these weapons spread far and wide, and one must be ready to protect themselves from these radiations at all times. Another major source of these radiations is the nuclear power plants and other nuclear applications that cause harmful radiations. This article will discuss 6 different things that you must understand about gamma radiation and.
- Gamma rays are the most powerful and energetic type of radiation. They are so powerful that they have the capability to easily pierce through metals and concrete. This makes them one of the in the world. They are formed in the heart of exploding stars and from the decay of radioactive atoms.
- Gamma radiations can be very harmful to the body, but they can be a blessing if used correctly. Recently gamma rays have been used by doctors to destroy brain cancer cells. A gamma rays knife was used by doctors to perform this task. It consists of several gamma rays focused on a single point with radiations strong enough to kill the cancerous cells. But the beam is so focused that a very insignificant amount of healthy brain cells is damaged.
- Fission reaction happens in nuclear power plants and in nuclear warheads. This is one of the major sources of gamma radiation in the world. If we consider the risks involving a meltdown accident at any nuclear power plant, gamma radiation’s effects and widespread. This should be considered by everyone and especially people living in areas closer to nuclear power plants.
- One of the most dangerous things about gamma rays is that they are highly penetrating and ionizing. This means that from any material that they pass through, they can create charged radicals. If the gamma rays pass through a human body, it can easily cause genetic mutation and damage the body’s cellular mechanism. Genetic and DNA mutation can cause plenty of problems for humans and their future generations. If the body is exposed to large gamma radiation doses, it can even cause radiation poisoning and kill the body’s cells. This is why you must know how you can protect yourself from radiation.
- The two most important things to save yourself from the dangers of radiation are time and distance. For people who are expected to be exposed to gamma radiation, such as , the time of exposure and distance of the radioactive material must be maintained to not have any adverse effect on the worker’s body.
- Shielding is another important factor that can help in minimizing the dangers of gamma radiation. If the radiations are penetrating types such as gamma rays or X rays, shields of lead, concrete, or water are normally used to contain the radiations. The radioactive material is kept in these containers, making sure that no radiations leak out and become harmful to the people working in the plant or the general public.