A futon is a handy piece of furniture that usually doubles up as a bed and couch. Small apartments are the perfect places for futons. After all, having a two-in-one piece of furniture in the small living room can be extremely beneficial. The futon is also ideal for the individual who’s shy about heading to work. On the other hand, the right futon can help you redesign your living room, making it a space that makes you happy and cozy! Depending on the frame configuration, the same mattress may be used as a bed mattress and seat cushion. However, a lot more goes into finding the right futon for your small living room.
1. Basic Purpose of the Futon
While picking thefor your living room, you must consider how you will likely use it. Different futons are suited for various tasks:
- Sitting – If you intend to use the futon primarily as a coach, and the occasional guest bed, look for one with armrests, backrests, and legs as part of the frame for better comfort.
- Sleeping – If you plan to use the futon as a regular sleep spot, ensure plenty of space around it. Ensure you don’t have to move other furniture whenever you unfold the futon. Plus, ensure the mattress is thick and comfortable, with a supportive frame.
- Both – If you’ll be using the futon for sleeping and sitting equally, choose one that’s easy to convert from couch to bed and back. Loveseat-style futons usually offer the best versatility for mixed uses without taking up much of your floor space.
2. Doubles as Extra Storage Space
One of the best things about futons is that they are not only handy in your living room, but you can also make them even more practical by doubling them up as extra storage spaces. When working with little space in your home, you need to maximize the available space. You can only do this by making your futon even more versatile. A futon can easily transform your living room space from cramped and crowded to one that’s spacious and airy. Instead of looking for a futon that sits right on the floor, choose one that leaves enough space where you can fit small shelves and drawers underneath. The drawers will help you optimize the space available.
3. Get a Futon Lounger
Consider getting a futon lounger if you are working with a small space but need to accommodate sleep. Also known as a loveseat or space saver, the lounger offers an additional leg part that quickly folds into the frame while hiding between the seat deck and futon base.
Futon loungers are available in different sizes:
- Twin lounger – This smallest frame quickly turns into a twin bed.
- Full lounger – This option is the best solution for tight spaces, but it still offers you the size of a full-size bed in your small living room. In most cases, it comes with a stow-away ottoman that can be easily stored under the loveseat. When the loveseat and ottoman are used together, they become full-size beds.
- Queen lounger – Another space-saving option if you want a queen-sized bed. This option also features a stow-away ottoman.
4. Use a Single-Sized Bed/Chair
Instead of getting a double futon, consider getting a single futon to better use the available small space. For instance, you canfrom a small chair that quickly converts to a single bed. Doing this not only makes the futon much smaller and manageable, but it’s an easy project you can undertake.
5. Take Room Measurements
A queen-size futon is certainly the most comfortable and spacious option available. However, you would need to purchase a queen-size frame that could be too big for your small room. Instead, take measurements of your living room before choosing a futon to avoid space constraints. Your living room will thank you for doing it.
Futons are great pieces of furniture, which can easily stand the test of time, lasting you for years, as long as you look after them well. While choosing the right futon for your small living room can seem lengthy, the tips above will help you find the perfect choice that you and your guests will enjoy.