No other industry has benefitted quite as much as the automobile industry from all the technological advancements in the world. From the added safety of airbags to better brakes, stability and entertainment options, today’s cars seem to have it all. But is this technology always a good thing? There are advantages and disadvantages of new technology in cars. Let’s take a look at both.
- On-board diagnostics tells you about the problems in your car long before it stalls on the road and leaves you stranded. This makes car repairs less expensive.
- Some new cars are healthier for the environment, from hybrids with their dual fuel options to regular cars with improved fuel efficiency.
- There’s no doubt that safety features are way better than what they used to be. Not just airbags, but safety locks, child locks, anti-skid brakes and rear facing cameras have definitely increased the safety of everyone in the car.
- Cruise control ensures your car stays at a decent regular speed. This makes for better fuel consumption and a smooth ride.
- Parking options are way better today, thanks to sensors that warn you about obstacles around the car. You’ll hear voice messages telling you when you’re too close or see the warning lights. All this means less trouble for you.
- LED headlights make driving at night less cumbersome. Infrared radiation, thermal imaging, cameras, screens on the dashboard for easy analysis of information and displays make driving secure. Nothing is more worrying than wondering what’s in front of you out there in the dark.
- Navigation systems like GPS have made getting anywhere super simple. You can stream maps, find interesting spots near you and just follow the instructions being given to you to make your way to your destination.
READ MORE ARTICLES :
Using technology makes us dependent on it which means when we don’t have it, we find ourselves helpless.
- GPS is all well and good, but it takes away the sheer pleasure of discovery. Getting lost isn’t always scary and could lead to unexpected joy.
- Entertainment options are a-plenty but when you have Wi-Fi hotspots and the option to stream videos, games and movies, the whole point of a car trip or ride gets defeated. What happened to talking and laughter and community-feeling, a feeling of family and oneness? All that is taken away in separate entertainment consoles, headphones and heads bent looking at blue screens.
- If you’re looking for used cars for sale you should consider safety options of course. But reliance on technology also makes us sloppy drivers. We rely too much on our cars and their technology and less on our own intuition and ability. Human error or haste can almost never be replaced. Technology lulls us into a false sense of security, making for sometimes costly mistakes.
- Car exhaust is a serious environment hazard and with the number of vehicles on the road, this is a serious concern.
- Driving is a skill that should be human-based rather than technology-based. When you rely on technology to such an extent, it can also leave you crippled when you find yourself without it.
Rely on technology but rely more on yourself.